Posted: Sep 29, 2019
The 25th-ranked Muskingum volleyball team spiked the 18th-ranked Transylvania Pioneers on Sunday, 3-0 (25-23, 25-9, 25-18).
- Records: Muskingum (14-2), Transylvania (14-4)
- Location: New Concord, Ohio – Anne C. Steele Center
- This marks the Muskies 10th straight-set victory of the 2019 season.
- Muskingum has defeated two ranked teams this year.
How It Happened
- The Muskies locked in set one (25-23), dominated in set two (25-9), and secured set three (25-18).
- As a team, Muskingum logged 46 kills, 40 assists, and 56 digs.
- Junior Maddie McGee guided the Muskie offense onslaught with a career-best 16 kills on 38 attempts.
- Junior Brynn Guist chipped in 13 kills, while junior Brooke Fatheree registered 10.
- Fatheree also led the Muskies with 16 digs.
- Junior Erin Dickson directed the Muskies with a game-high 36 assists.
- Junior Jessica Cottle anchored the Muskie backline with 12 digs.
- Freshman Emma Conrad amassed 11 digs, while junior Maddie Sikorski tallied 10.
- Fatheree and Guist recorded three blocks each.
Inside The Sets
- In the first set, the Pioneers and Muskies fought side by side with neither team taking more than a two-point lead early on. Transylvania registered a 9-2 run to slide past Muskingum with a score of 9-6. Muskingum answered back with four consecutive points to give them a 10-9 lead over the Pioneers. The contest remained tight and the teams continued to trade points. A kill by junior Kaitlin Noble locked in the 25-23 victory for the Muskies.
- In the second set, the Muskies came out hot and recorded five straight points to give them a dominating 12-5 lead over the Pioneers. Muskingum expanded the gap with a 9-2 run to give them a 14-point edge on Transylvania (21-7). The Muskies secured the final two points to take the set with a score of 25-9.
- The Muskies took control of set three early on with a score of 12-7. The Pioneers retaliated with back-to-back points to get within two-points (13-11) of the Muskies. Transylvania fought to trim the lead, but the Muskies continued to control play. A kill by Fatheree secured the Muskies their 10th straight-set victory of the 2019 season.
- Muskingum next hosts Kenyon on Thursday, October 3. Start time is slated for 7:00 p.m